Sunday, October 25, 2009

#44 Glowing Analog G-Shock.

I bought a box of cherry bon bons. I thought it was a nice idea to use the wrap paper as a filter in the bouncer of my flash. I had no idea I could get such a strange surreal results. Well, I changed the hue of the dial, now it even looks more strange...
But let's not get too far of topic at the start. This is my AW-560.D-7CV. You can't find this model on G-Shock Perfect Search (GPS),This model was sold only outside Japan.
There seems to be a demand of this model in Japan. I found this image of a model for sale in Japan. When observed close, you recognize the German hexagonal box. Similar boxes were also used in Japan, but had a glossy finish and only a big G instead of the G-Shock logo. This G-Shockl (photo below) is at the moment at auction for ¥19800 at Rakuten Auctions. This AW-560 model could be released in June 1994, but according to my website it is a November 1996 model. I have no idea where I got that information from. It could be that the European release was in 1996.
Although this AW-560 model isn't in the GPS, the module appeared earlier in November 1993 in the AW-500B-7C.
Instead of the AW-500 case, it looks like this model has three buttons. Actually the upper left button is fake. I think the symmetric look with the fake button is better. Also the case of the AW-560 looks tougher than the AW-500, because there is some kind of protection around the buttons.
The dial is pretty special. It seems to change from color in different light conditions. On the dial there is a phosphorescent layer, that seems pretty active. When you walk from sunlight into a dark house, it looks like the whole watch is radioactive!

I saw this impressive Kraftwerk show live in Tilburg, July 2005.

Actually I think it's pretty cool. Phosphors are very interesting materials that can store energy in the form of light and emit emit light in the dark. I think photons excite ("shooting" an electron in a higher energy orbital) the metal component of the phosphor, but instead of emitting it directly, like with fluorescence, the light is emitted over some time. Therefore the light dims over some time. Funny thing actually, the element phosphorus is not phosphorescent, but can react chemiluminescent. Actually there is one student doing research about chemiluminescence at school (photo above, copper catalyzes a chemiluminescent reaction between hydrogen-peroxide and sodium-hypochlorite). Instead of radioactive sources, the phosphor falls back to it's grounds state and does not fall apart in smaller fragments.
When you watch th dial in a bright lighted environment, the dial looks creme white. A bit like "Glow in the Dark"toys. When you wear the watch is a dim lighted area, you'll pretty much notice the greenish glow.
The watch is "Old School" big. The dial seems to lie very deep into the case, providing the tough look. "If the shock resistant structure is so thick, it must be a pretty tough".Well, it was cold and raining outside. Let's continue inside. Bram welcomes us into our house.
The digital display is placed under the dial. Although the case is round, the analog movement is not centered, but moved a bit to the top. This prevents the irritating blocking of the digital display by the minute hand. The minute hand on the AW-560 ends at the top of the digital display. Nice design! One thing I miss a bit. There is no light in the digital display.
According the description of the AW-500 model with the same module, the green lettering is adopted from the green glow of the dial.
The functions of the buttons can be read on the inside. If you have a G-Shock collection, you need to keep your mind with this watch. There is no button on the usual "Adjust button" location. Browsing the functions (Mode button) is not located bottom left, but bottom right. If you touch the upper right button, the hands are set immediately.
To set the time of the watch (or the Alarm and the Dual Time) you need to go to hold the select button for about two seconds, until the digits flash. By bushing the Select button you can choose the digits that must be altered, with the Mode button you can increase the value of the digits. Besides the Alarm and Dual Time function, the AW-560 also has a Stopwatch.
In the beginning you have to look for the buttons. You might think the big bumps on the side of the bezel are the buttons, but that are actually button protectors. The actual buttons are more close to the middle.
I actually like this watch pretty much, but the mixed-up button positions hold me back a bit from wearing this watch. The AW-560 looks pretty tough and sturdy. The glowing dial makes it a great watch to for clubbing. Actually I don't know if the watch is still easy to find, although I believe that heaps of this model were sold in Germany and probably a lot are left forgotten in a drawer there. I bought mine in September 2004, so it's already some time ago I got this one. The watch was in good, but used condition, but I probably didn't pay much more than €30.- for it.

1 comment:

SkyForce6 said...

Yes this one sure is a different beast!

I bought one of these in mint condition when I was on vacation this summer, I got it with the nice Haru can which surprised me alot.

I know this model was available here in Sweden when the Dw-6600 came out in stores. I think this one came out around the same time as the DW-6500 SkyForce. So atleast here in Sweden it came out before 1996.

This one is a mystery to me, I know i shoudl not like it because of the hard to reach buttons and the lack of any backlight (yes there is plenty of lume but it only last a very short time) and also the unusual dial that do not have 5 dots for each minute between the larger spots. It is abit unpractical. And yeat still I find myself liking it.

I think it is the dinosaur like appearance of the thing that makes me like it, it looks like it could be the grandfather in the G-Shock line up. Also I think it is rather russian in its expression which is kind of cool. Also I like its size. I simply like it!